Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Four Rules of Driving or T.R.I.P.

I am beyond getting mad while driving, I think.  Easy for me to say, I no longer live in a seriously busy city, fighting traffic every day.  But I like to think it's an enlightened point of view, and not just my advanced age and circumstance.  Instead, I have come to recognize the Four Rules of Driving for Important People that are applied by a sizable portion of the people sharing the road with me.  

Now, instead of reacting emotionally when someone's driving comes to my attention in a way that might have upset me in the past, I just look for the rule they are applying.   Once I put my finger on the proper one, I completely understand what the other driver is up to.  With understanding comes compassion and equanimity.  I recognize their intention and no longer utter comments like,  "What in the world are you doing?"  (expletives deleted).  

Yesterday, as I rode up on an intersection in the right hand lane, a car on the cross street chose that moment to pull out and enter my lane.  No sense waiting and granting me the right of way.  My passenger exclaimed, "What in heck (not the actual word used) is that guy doing?"  I simply said, he's applying the First Rule of Driving for Important People, Me First.  It's just the way people will do, sometimes, it's nothing personal.  He probably just doesn't like waiting around. 

Today, as I rode along in the left lane of the main drag here, doing five or six miles over the speed limit, a truck ran up behind me and flashed his lights.  I stifled my first impulse, took a breath and asked myself what driving rule he was applying.  I soon realized he was simply applying Rule Number Two for Important People, Outta My Way, I noted.  It's nothing personal, I am sure he had an important purpose, like getting to the bar to watch the football game.    

The last time I headed for the interstate, i got to the bottom of the on ramp, and started easing into the traffic, only to have a car speed up to prevent me from getting into the space ahead of him.  I recognized this one immediately--Merge Behind Me, the Third Rule of Driving for Important People.   It was nothing personal. he just wanted me behind him, and he was following the rule.  Some time during the twenty miles or so that we would be sharing the road, I would probably recognize that I shouldn't get ahead of such an important person.  After all, he was on the highway first. 

Later, when I left the highway and headed for home, I prepared to turn onto a road, after observing that the oncoming traffic had a yield sign.  He blew right through, however, and I had to stop quickly.  He was applying the Fourth Rule of Driving for Important People, Yield Doesn't Mean Stop.  When the Yield sign is present, stopping is optional for important people.     

Using these rules to identify and cope with other drivers has helped me not only keep my cool in those circumstances, but I have been able to make room for the important people to get on with their important stuff.  My life has purpose, and I don't get upset while driving.  I have repeated the rules below so that you may achieve a similar peace.  That is, unless you are one of the Important People, in which case you won't need reminding at all, you probably don't understand what the fuss is about and assume that people honking their horns when you pass by are just saying hello.         

Traffic Rules for Important People (T.R.I.P.)
  1. Me First
  2. Outta My Way
  3. Merge Behind Me
  4. Yield Does Not Mean Stop




No comments: