Monday, November 19, 2012

I Think, Therefore I Am?

Rene Descartes was a French philosopher.  Apparently, his job was to think, then write.  The question I have to ask is how did he do his thinking?  Did he sit around in a bath like Socrates?  Did he even talk with other people, or did he just think alone?   It is said that he had a series of dreams that formed the foundation of his philosophy.  From those dreams he formed his famous first truth.   But, this was clearly not the product of an all night drinking party (those Ancient Greeks and Romans again--look up what a symposium was--it was a drinking party).  No, Descartes' philosophy was a solo act.  He sat there examining his own experience and his own mind, deducing his basis for existence--his thought.  If his thought exists, then so must he.  

But I'm not smart enough to pursue that whole notion.  Deep thinking in solitude more than likely would put me to sleep.  Wait, maybe that's the kind of sleep Descartes fell into, then dreamed up the basis for existence!  Probably not.  

But, put me in a group talking about something like this and I feel alive.  "When I think, I feel alive."  If only I could remember how to say that in Latin, it would sound so much more profound.  After all, Descartes rewrote his that way, "Cogito, ergo sum."  When I came to that conclusion, it sounded to me at first like I was treading the same ground as Descartes had (just a thought, a leap of absurdity, I know).  Even so, I did a little reading about Descartes, and realized he was a solitary thinker.  Probably was never on the same page.  

Nevertheless, I agree with Descartes.  What I think is telling me something.  I don't know exactly how to do something about it.  I can try to hang around with people who will talk about these things, but I don't know exactly where they hang out.  Discussions involving deep thought seem to be few and far between these days.  

I could write a book, but that is a kind of solitary activity.   It becomes very private, in a sense, when one tries to write a serious book.  The author becomes sort of protective about the book, not wanting it to see the light of day until it's ready.        

Then there's the whole thing about the discomfort some people feel about sharing space with those who do not share their opinions.  Often discussions that make you think occur when opinions conflict, or, put another way, people share thoughts that may not yet be fully formed and ready for a steadfast defense.  That is OK.  It really is beyond me to take in why people have become convinced that the proper thing to do about someone who strongly holds or even offers, an opinion or an observation with which they disagree is to belittle them or worse.  

Political discourse in this country seems to be devoted to that approach.  Hence, little or no honest exchange of thought occurs.  As a result, no middle ground can be found.  I find that those moments when I am thinking, and therefore feel most alive are occurring less and less often.  They are pushed aside by many people who replace them either with ridicule of others or silence.  It is certainly predictable that people will be uncomfortable sharing thoughts for which they might be attacked.        

Why not try it?  Find a safe situation where you can express a thought and feel alive.  The first step is to start listening without judgement to what others who might not agree with you have to say.  Be willing to accept the discomfort that comes with sharing space with people who don't share your opinion.  You might learn something, and you might just feel a bit more alive for a little while.  

No comments: