Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I'm not Doing This Because It's Fun

As much as I swore off political discourse back in the middle of the year (I just couldn't take any more of it), I just felt like I had to watch the election returns tonight.  I voted this morning, and I plan on keeping my choices to myself.  There is a good reason for the secret ballot tradition, in my view.  Sore losers and poor winners get some space, and I think that is what is needed in today's society.  Running down the other guy's candidate is just the beginning of the bickering that marks political discourse these days.  

As I write this, I don't think the winner for President has been determined, but I felt like I had to watch this process and see if anyone would start stepping up to the plate and challenging people not to begin again with all the fracture.  

Instead of accepting who won and moving on, people start working on "beating them next time."  Isn't there a job to do during the interim?  We have a country sorely in need of some work.  Politicians are accountable for accomplishing something, are they not?.  On a state level, I see some things being accomplished, but nationally, nothing gets done.  How can I get comfortable with this process working again?  

Much of what is happening (and what will happen) is a function of trying to show up the other guy, not doing what's right.  I would describe some of my concerns more specifically but it would betray my preferences.  Whatever happens is not going to be a function of people doing what they think is right, or doing what is best for all.  It is going to be a function of showing up the other guy.  Sad.  

I have a personal stake in the likelihood that the politicians will make no effort to forge a compromise on addressing the deficit (probably the first issue the politicians will tackle).  When they fail to reach a compromise, a process called sequestration will be implemented.  The sequestration process will be put in play due to the failure of our politicians to work out a deal that meets the needs of all parties.  

This will likely cause the ruin of much of the research aimed toward finding the cause, an effective course of treatment or even a cure for Parkinson's disease, among others.  The National Institutes of Health will lose much of its grant funding which will cause ongoing research to grind to a halt.  If that happens, it can't be picked up again later, studies must be restarted, and much ground will be lost.  I still don't think either side has an exclusive hold on what's right, but jeez.... 

With all of that depressing stuff aside, we all need to take a little space before jumping to a conclusion, or a position.  Take a breath, everyone, for God's sake.  

No comments: