Friday, December 7, 2012

Four Hundred and Three Words


I have to admit to a certain infatuation with words.  You have probably already deduced[1] that, of course.  Why else would I write this little collection of essays?  I have a friend who is a much better writer than I and who has a far better vocabulary than anyone I know.  She uses words I know the meaning of, but am never able to bring to mind when I need them, and she uses words that send me to a dictionary as well.  Even occasionally using words she tosses out with ease will lead me to an ebullience[2] about my vocabulary that most people wouldn’t share.  She once wrote me a nice note entitled “Words” in which she expressed her chagrin[3] over being briefly at a loss for words to describe something, but that’s another story. 

The point is I like words.  The reason all of this is on my mind is that I ran across a book called The Vocabulary of Success today on the bargain-priced table at Barnes & Noble.  The subtitle is actually what caught my eye—“403 Words That Smart People Should Know.”  Its author is a denizen[4] of a law firm, which surprises me—in most of the lawyers I have run across there was a paucity[5] of clear speech, which only piqued[6] my interest further.  It turns out the author teaches lawyers how to write effectively. 

I decided to share some of these gems in the interest of improving your prospects for becoming “smart.”  I have inserted many of the chosen words, footnoting them with definitions.  I am hoping this makes up for the amount ofbrain power you will probably have lost by the time you finish reading this piece



[1] Number 79, to derive or draw as a conclusion by reasoning from given premises
[2] Number 105, showing enthusiasm or wxhiliration of feeling
[3] Number 47, to vex by disappointment
[4] Number 86, inhabitant or resident; one who frequently inhabits a place
[5] Number 248, smallness of quantity; scarcity
[6] Number 261, to excite interest of curiosity in

But, why are there 403 words exactly?  Surely there is a myriad[1] of words that would qualify.  Sadly, he offers no explanation for that, except to explain that he started with 5,000.  Then, he has the effrontery[2] to proffer[3] his list without deigning[4] to provide his rationale for us to ruminate[5] about. 

Some words make the list for reasons of correcting obviously lawyerly errors.  For example, lawyers often misuse the word “therefor,” therefore, our author included it and “therefore” in his list, while explaining the reason therefor[6].   The author aims to prevent misuse of the regular adverb in place of the conjunctive adverb, which is, of course, a solecism[7].

Others fail to make the list for reasons I cannot understand.  Is he trying to hoodwink[8] us when he fails to include any words that begin with “J?”   Surely a lawyer would throw in jurisprudence, or jive or josh.  In all this travail[9] could he not cover the whole alphabet?  He also failed to cover “K.”  No, his list is kaput in my book.  Am I just kvetching?  I think not.  Surely someone could have kibitzed on behalf of “K.”

I will admit that “X” and “Y” might present a challenge, but his inscrutable[10] deliberations shed no light on why “smart 


[1] Number 217, a vast indefinite number
[2] Number 110, unblushing impudence or boldness
[3] Number 282, to offer to another for acceptance
[4] Number 81, to deem worthy of notice or account
[5] Number 329, to chew over again, to  ponder

[6] Number 367, both words—the conjunctive adverb and the regular
[7]  Number 341, a nonstandard or ungrammatical usage
[8] Number  163, to deceive, trick, cheat, swindle
[9]  Number 372, hard or agonizing labor
[10]  Number 189, incapable of analyzed, investigated or scrutinized


people” need not be cognizant of words that begin with “X,” or “Y.”
  
Can “smart people” really have insight without knowing the yin and yang of existence?  Or is he merely xenophobic, fearing the ideas because they originated in another culture?  (OK, I have now covered all four of the missing letters, we all know he could have if I can)

In the end, lists like this will never make it into our zeitgeist[1], hence its position on the bargain books table, marked down by seventy-five percent.



[1]  Number 403, the spirit of the times


No comments: