Monday, June 11, 2012

Seizing The Fish At The Zoo

Now, I'm sure you know that fish are normally found in an aquarium. So, why am I going to the zoo to seize the fish? I ask you, do you remember when the zoo was really a blast? How old were you? If it was too long ago for you to remember, how about your children? How old were they? My guess, somewhere around the age of six or seven was the peak time. After that, they are on sports teams that have interminable seasons and playoffs. Or they get more interested in their friends than in going to the zoo with their (choose one: parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles). Maybe they also get tired of the animals. Gorillas, lions and pandas might be exciting to see in the flesh the first few times, but they are so used to animated movies and cartoons, I think they are disappointed when they (the animals) can't talk. What would you and a gorilla talk about anyway?

  • (me to gorilla) Wow, I really like your coat! Or,
  • (Gorilla to me) where did all your hair go? How do you climb trees with those shoes on?
  • (Me to gorilla) do you have to handle your excrement all the time?

I'm sure the gorilla conversation all goes downhill from there. He'd be offended, and I would be frightened. If a 400-pound gorilla gets mad at you, I guess I'd rather be able to try to talk it over before it comes to blows, of course. As long as he stays in the cage, I guess I'd just walk away and then I'd be trying to talk to a zebra.

  • (Me to zebra) My wife won't let me wear stripes. She says they make me look fat.

That conversation starter would probably be a non-starter… (Sorry, I couldn't resist it). So, where was I? Oh yeah, going to the zoo. So, our five and six-year old grandchildren have never been to the zoo, and, while they are at the right age to be thrilled by going to the zoo, we are going to the zoo in Jacksonville. "Carpe diem" (seize the fish for all those of you who never took Latin in school).

No comments: