Friday, June 22, 2012

Introverts and Introspection


A friend of mine recently told me that solitude (not loneliness) gave "freer rein to her introversion." Humph, I thought, she must mean introspection. Now she has a far better vocabulary and writes far better than I, but I thought maybe I had her on this one. So I went looking at Merriam-Webster and learned to my chagrin that both words mean a reflective turn inward or to turn inward upon oneself. I shrugged it off, and thought no more about it. I know a little about the subject as I regard myself as an introvert, but all the same, the two words hardly differ at all. I had some thoughts about the value of introspection and intended to write some about it, but there was something that needed saying about the value of seeking out the occasional opportunity to cultivate introversion and I couldn't put my finger on it.
I am revisiting the question now, as I read a research report from 23andMe, a California-based genetic research organization, that people like me who have Parkinson's tend to share certain personality characteristics—they are more agreeable, more neurotic and anxious and less extraverted (or more introverted). Agreeable sort that I am, I can see some of that in me. I don't believe that introversion is a weakness. It may not equip me for certain occupations and I may have had to work harder to accomplish certain tasks. However, I have always valued the inner life I found in others, and especially enjoy hearing them share it. Is that simply because these are kindred spirits? I think I have found that something that was missing. Buddhists believe we must look within to find the end to suffering, to awaken. I get that, but I have never been confused about how challenging that path is.
There is really something more straightforward. I think Emerson said it best. "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when we bring what is within us out into the world, miracles happen." There is something that lies within that is worth pursuing, not to the exclusion of all else, but certainly not to be ignored. So grab some solitude if that works or find an opportunity to talk about what you learn, think, and feel. Look for the miracle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim, I sure think of myself as an introvert but feel the miracle, for me, has come with age. I want to express what I feel instead of hiding behind agreements, and do not feel uncomfortable about those expressions of my thoughts, even if they do sometimes make others uncomfortable. I think that often,if you share innermost thoughts and feelings with others, they feel freed to do the same with you. Jean