Thursday, September 3, 2015

A Walk In The Wilderness

As we walked in the parking lot at the Park Plaza after watching a thoroughly enjoyable movie about another "Walk," we realized once again that becoming thoroughly absorbed in a movie will frequently diminish one's recall of exactly where you parked your car before entering the theater.  Sometimes the best thing to do is click the unlock button on your car keys, letting the noise of the horn and the flash of your lights led you there.  "Wait a minute, I'm trying to find my keys first," she said.  Well, finding the car won't do us much good if we can't find the keys, will it?  And now, finding the car without those keys might not happen either.  So, I can agree that finding the keys is the first thing, I guess.  This really is a walk in the wilderness after "A Walk In The Woods."  Or is it a "Walk On The Wild Side?"  Where's old Lou Reed when you need him?

Back to "A Walk In The Woods."  I wouldn't call it a "buddy film."  Robert Redford and Nick Nolte make an unlikely pair.  The movie is more of a reflection on what is important in life and about realizing it late in life, I think.  Or, maybe it's just me being later in life, so I see everything through that lens.  In any case, "the woods" are those along the iconic Appalachian Trail.  I've seen bits and pieces of that Trail, but never walked any part of it myself.  No, I am not feeling the call of the Trail either.  This is a time of year when I'd like to be walking more, but it is beastly hot and humid here and it's raining most of the time.  So, I put it off and worry about not getting enough exercise to chase those same two pounds around the week this week. If only worrying used up calories.  No matter how important that seems to me each day nowadays, it was time tonight to remember that taking a little time away from all the day-to-day stresses makes a big difference. Feeling that stress?  "A Walk In The Woods" might be just the thing.  Not that walking in the woods is important, but spending some time away from it all, absorbed in something else with someone important to you, is worth doing.      

Sure, you might wind up walking in the wilderness looking for your car, but you might just wear away some of that stress that's been on your mind.  It worked for us.

No comments: