Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Thrill Is Not Gone, At Least Not Yet

The Thrill Is Not Gone, At Least Not Yet


Yes, BB King passed away at 89 years of age, after a career that spanned nearly seven decades, but he is still with us in so many ways--from his own music to the influence he had on so many musicians.  Many had the privilege of performing with this man whom so many admired, among them Eric Clapton.  Their "Riding With The King" CD remains one of my favorites.

Do yourself a favor and find the YouTube piece from two staffers at The Rolling Stone magazine.  In it they include their "Top Ten Songs" from BB's massive songbook.  Watch and listen...it's worth investing the fifty-six minutes it will take.

Of course, "The Thrill Is Gone" makes it onto their list, but it isn't even my favorite anymore.  In fact, a song I didn't even remember is really my new favorite.  It's "Why I Sing The Blues,"and the version the Rolling Stone editors put up for us to hear was recorded in 1969, and it has this understated litany of things that might bring out the blues in a black man of his generation, and it has a wonderful feel to it.

My second and third choices are "Three O'Clock Blues" and "Every Day I Have the Blues."  You see what I mean?  I could not have even named two of these three yesterday, and I'm feeling the thrill of these new/old hits.

You probably would not have stayed with this little note if you didn't like BB King, but even if you don't have the history with him that I do, please invest the fifty-five minutes or so to listen and realize just how special he was and why.  Oh Heck, here's the link--http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/b-b-kings-10-greatest-songs-20150515/

No doubt about it, the "Thrill's not gone, not yet, anyway....

No comments: