Thursday, May 7, 2015

Chicken Eggs Exercise Before Sleep

Chicken Eggs Exercise Before Sleep


I am pondering a profound proposition (at least to me) this morning and it leaves me perplexed.  I struggle at times with fatigue, and sleeplessness, which can leave you depressed from time to time.  A good nap helps in many respects, but not nearly as much as a good night's sleep.  But that has nothing to do with how chicken eggs get exercise, does it?  And aren't eggs always asleep until they hatch?

It is also important for me to get an above average amount of exercise every day--45 minutes to an hour every day is more than I have had in my lifetime, at least as an adult.  Doing that helps me maintain balance, flexibility and core strength.  Together all of these make it possible for me to be mobile in spite of some medical challenges.  It also helps maintain my weight.  Both are important to me, and, I guess, to most everyone.  But getting all of that exercise in requires getting a good night's sleep.  In turn, getting a good night's sleep requires that you be physically tired when you hit the sack.  

I struggled with this little problem for the past week or so.  I took a "red-eye" flight coast to coast, West to East.  I got approximately zero sleep, and got home after noon the next day.  Even with the time change, I had been up for 23 hours.  I tried to sleep, but managed only a couple of hours, in part because of my aching limbs.  So I got up, hoping I could make up the sleep that night.  Of course, I had no energy to spend on exercise.  I tried to write, but could not do that either.  It seemed like I was too tired to think.  When i went to bed that night, I felt too tired to sleep.  How is that even possible?  In a fair and just world, those of us who have been sleep deprived and are tired with a capital "T" would be able to sleep readily.  After a short while, I had worked myself into a real struggle to sleep--sore muscles, restless legs, and so on.  Net result--not enough sleep.

For a week i struggled to get back to the right balance.  If I exercised, I'd be exhausted and would urgently need a nap.  We all know that when you urgently need a nap, there just isn't time, so you put it off.  When I skipped exercise, I had sore joints and limbs, and compounded that with getting depressed about the fact I wasn't exercising.  Not exercising also seemed to make consistent sleep more difficult.  I also ate more than I should because--I don't know about you, but this is true for me--when I am bored, I snack more.

Yesterday, I finally pushed through.  I exercised more than I had for weeks, and was exhausted.  The thing was that two commitments I had to others left me no choice.  My regular appointment with my physical trainer is on Wednesday mornings, and I have been playing in a golf league recently and we play every Wednesday afternoon.  While the latter is not regular exercise, we had several cart path only holes, and we walked most of the time for more than two hours.  One of the guys in my foursome--Ron, had received a "gift" from his kids--a fit bot device that counted his steps.  He said it was their way of telling him he needed more exercise.  Anyway, he told us his fit bit thing indicated he had taken 12,000 steps playing the round with us.  My session with my personal trainer lasts for ninety minutes, so I had too much exercise, I mean it.   I went to sleep early, and slept for ten hours.   My conclusion to the never-ending controversy--the chicken egg exercises before sleep.   That is as profound as I get before eight AM.

No comments: