Thursday, May 14, 2015

River of RoboCalls

Soon we will begin needing to sandbag along the above-mentioned river, but, like real sandbags, these figurative sandbags aren't flood proof.  Let me explain.  This year, a raging torrent of robocalls is on its way toward me/us.  I am being singled out for one stream of calls as I am turning that magical age this year (don't tell anyone, but it's spelled "s-i-x-t-y f-i-v-e).  I will become eligible for medicare, and apparently thousands of telemarketers have been advised of this fact.  I am averaging three calls a day when I am around to hear them come in, and there are others that call when I am not home, so I don't know they have called--no, they never leave messages (thank you, God!).  All of these callers share a single desire--they want to counsel me on the subject of Medicare Supplement Plans.  I have actually answered a few and informed them I am married, and thus have a lifelong supply of advice greatly superior to any they can possibly offer.   It has no impact on the volume of calls, so I have stopped answering.  

Now a "robocall" is officially described as "a phone call that utilizes a computerized autodialer to deliver a pre-recorded message as from a robot" Wikipedia indicates its article has multiple issues and that they need our help to improve this entry.  I'd begin by expanding the definition or adding a sub-category that includes robocalls that deliver telemarketers who speak to you, not just offer a pre-recorded message.  You know these calls--you say "hello" and are greeted with dead air, followed by multiple clicks and then, at long last, a human voice.  If you have failed to hang up during the recognizable delay, you have to get rid of the pesky critter by indicating your lack of interest, declining to answer any questions and hanging up.  If you fail to do this, you will find yourself answering more and more questions and hearing the caller recite a sales pitch of some kind, etc.

I realize not all of you face my singular problem with respect to all the world knowing how old you are and having said age be "you-know-what."  Nevertheless, you too will face an ever-rising current of robocalls.  You may not yet realize it, but the 2016 election campaigns have begun.  Some fool or other announced his or her intention to run for president and I have temporarily lost count of how many more have done so.  That means we are facing almost eighteen months of robocalls--either delivering pre-recorded messages, taking surveys or soliciting contributions.  So, you really do need to learn about a few of the sandbags you might use to slow the rising flood waters.

Before I begin, lets me admit to a few weaknesses I have allowed to seep into my proverbial backyard.  I have made the mistake of responding to survey-takers.  It just encourages them.  i think they shared my number around their proverbial water-cooler and the volume of calls rose dramatically.  Ditto--agreeing to make a nominal contribution.  You see, i was taking a medication that honest-to-God, has a side-effect of making me a bit more impulsive than I might normally be--who knew/  Anyway, it all settled down when I simply began saying "no" to every caller.

Another weakness I have to acknowledge--I have caller ID on my new answering machine.  It's so cute, it actually tries to pronounce the name of the caller--like Meedecay Soupple for the sellers of medicare supplement plans.  I can hardly wait until I start ignoring calls from "Dee Mocrati" and "Repub Liecan." For this reason, I have delayed taking a few steps in this area.

Now, on to the "sandbags."  First, there's the "Do Not Call List."  It's simple to place yourself on the above-mentioned list--you just call 1-888-382-1222 from any phone you wish to add to the list.  No worries, I can do that.  Once I've done that, no one will be permitted to call me without my permission.  However, you may wish to know a few issues related to the no call list process.  I call them the "Four S's" of Do Not Call Land.  The following exceptions to the list exist--solicitations by charities, solicitations by political parties, survey-takers, and sermonizers; only for-profit businesses are covered by the Do Not Call List.  May as well toss away lots of those sandbags, get yourselves a new phone with a caller ID announcer like mine and sit back and enjoy.  Or, get rid of your land line?   But then, you might never learn to swim across the river....
      

No comments: