Saturday, November 1, 2014

Sweatshirt Weather

Sweatshirt Weather


We knew it was wishful thinking then.  In August when we bought new sweatshirts in anticipation.  How much longer could hot weather hold out in SC anyway?  A long, long time, it turns out.   We had consistent eighty degree weather until this week.  Even with highs in the mid-70's, you really needn't do much more than don a long-sleeved shirt.

There was even an ominous event that accompanied one of my initial days of long-sleeved shirt wearing.  For the first time in my life that I can recall (oh shut your face, I can too remember what I did yesterday), a bird scored a direct hit on me (my shirt actually) in a certain sort of "bombing run" the nature of which I am sure you understand quite clearly without further elaboration on my part.  Anyway, all that is past.  Today's high will be 54 degrees Fahrenheit.  As I sit here, however, the winds are howling by and I'm thinking a windbreaker layer will be required.  But, for now, on goes my Saugatuck sweatshirt made by Gear, the company that makes the best sweatshirts I have ever worn.

I know sweatshirt weather will never be the cultural icon that flip flops have been.  People around these parts wear flip flops, and visitors will wear them no matter what the weather.  I actually bought a pair of flip flops this year, but have resisted wearing them for the most part--just me being rebellious, I guess.  They are everywhere, and the noise they make--flip flop, flip flop, FLIP FLOP, flip flop, flip flop, flip flop, Flip Flop...  It goes on and on.  Do sweatshirts have such an annoying presence?  No, except perhaps in what's written on them--which you can control by exercising a little self-control.  No "I'm with Stupid ->," and no "Older Than Dirt," etc.  

Well, enjoy your day, I have to go outside in my sweatshirt and enjoy the moment... 

No comments: