Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Loving Yourself


Loving Yourself


Love to love you
What do you love most about yourself? What do you love most about your favorite person? Are the two connected? 

"Love about myself?"  I thought you weren't allowed to "love yourself."  That would reflect a massive ego or something called narcissism, I think.  Maybe I should look that one up.  "Having an excessive interest in oneself or one's physical appearance."  So much for liking my body for deciding to cooperate in reaching my goal weight this year.   Yes, I dropped a few pounds--well, if you've had a reasonably close look at me (say within a hundred yards or so) you'd say I had to lose quite a few--I could go on, but the point is that excessive focus on oneself is not a good beginning to any interaction.  So, I am a little stuck.  Loving something about myself is not so good, right?

But some amount of self-love is necessary for growth and survival.  Narcissism is more about the degree of self-love,  We all need enough self-love, just not so much.   So what do I love about myself?  Let me see, I think I'm....

Maybe this will work better in reverse.  What do I like most about my favorite person--OK, "love" most about my favorite person.  She swears--I am not making this up--that I once told her with a straight face that what I loved most about her was that she loved me.  I think you might now be able to better understand why this prompt gives me so much trouble.  I'm running around in circles here.

I guess the important thing to learn was right in front of me all the time.  The starting point is to love yourself.  Then move on to the people that love you, then....  Don't over-analyze, just do it--of course they are connected.  I just can't tell you exactly how.

No comments: