Thursday, November 20, 2014

Perspective--Things You Don't Like And Things You Do

Perspective--Things You Don't Like And Things You Do


Think about something that drives you crazy. Now, think about something that makes you happy. Does it change your perspective on the former? 

Something that drives me crazy is the political attack advertising we are subjected to during the election season here (I'm not certain how long that is, but my guess is it's six months long--probably just seems that long).  I'm sure many of you share the same opinion--they spend all their time calling each other spineless, lying, cheating scoundrels, while all the while evading the question as to how they really will do anything or support anything.  Ours were like a series of cannonballs lobbed at each other.  One would accuse the other of something egregious and evil, then the other would reply calling his or her opponent a liar, and deny whatever he or she was accused of doing, then pointing to the opponent and calling him or her a liar and a chest, and on and on and on...

Ours was especially gruesome as the attackers were buying time on local radio and TV stations that broadcast to both their own state and ours.  Thus, we were hearing all this malarkey about an election in which we DO NOT HAVE A VOTE!  (Sorry about the screaming, but this does drive me crazy.  

Now the problem is I have to name something that makes me happy and I can only think about THOSE STUPID ATTACK ADS!

I think I am going to have to do something to get them off my mind... 

So, I have just returned from a walk around my house.  I am refreshed.  What did I do?  I ate two toot rolls (the only sweets I could find), a stepped out on my upstairs balcony and felt the chilly breeze (it's in the 50's here and I am only wearing a long-sleeved tee shirt), and watched the fading afternoon sun as it descended behind a building across the inlet.  Then I grabbed a book of poems off the shelf in our bedroom and read two of my favorite poems by Billy Collins--"The Lanyard" and "The Trouble With Poetry."  (I'd write them right here, but you can go to youtube and type in the title of the former and its author.  You'll get a reading by the author).   So, now I am relieved.  Have these three little escapes have made me "happy?"  Well, not exactly, but I am happier so I think this handles the second part to the prompt up above.  Now has it changed my perspective on those "attack ads?"  DUH?

OK, OK...  Let's turn that question around.  Has thinking about those attack ads changed my perspective on things I like?  No, apparently not.  So, no harm done, I suppose.  I won't be moving to Australia as the next election year rolls around after all.

1 comment:

Linda Bremner said...

I am bothered by the political ads too, and something that makes me happy is the mute button on the remote!