Monday, May 5, 2014

A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities


If you could split your time between two cities anywhere in the world, which would they be?  Too urban for you?  Make it a Tale of Two Places. I need to spend some time with this one.  I don't consider myself well-traveled so I doubt my selections will reflect anything other than the feel I have for those places I know.  At first blush, I thought of Hilton Head, SC and Saugatuck, MI, mostly because I am quite familiar with both and know people there, of course.

But if I looked at it as a choice of two "cities," I know that Chicago and San Francisco would be in the mix.   Zeroing in on those a bit, I think Sausalito might be my real San Francisco choice.  I'm liking this Sausalito choice even more.  I spent only a single afternoon there, but I know there's much more to explore and that San Francisco would be within easy reach.  People tell me that the three or four sunny days I spent there were not an accurate reflection of typical weather there, but I.m not too worried. Chicago would likely remain a downtown choice--somewhere near the lake, with a view perhaps.  Though Chicago was my home, I'm not certain of this one, since I've lived away for nearly thirty years.  But I think of major league baseball at Wrigley and whatever they are calling White Sox Park these days.  I think of the Lincoln Park zoo and the many afternoons we spent there with our two kids.  I remember lunch hours spent at the Cultural Center atop the old public library, a building lined with colored glass with Tiffany designs, I think.  Then there's the Art Institute...and the Museum of Science and Industry, the Field Museum...

I have to go back and think this one through, TO BE CONTINUED

No comments: