Saturday, May 3, 2014

A SPECIAL THANKS TO SOMEONE I KNOW

A SPECIAL THANKS TO SOMEONE I KNOW


Though you might think it's a no-brainer
I’m here in the moment to thank my dear trainer.
She’s encouraged me through
a vast mountain of “Phew!”

That being neatly defined
as residue in the mind
of longstanding rust in these old joints and distortions
released only by work and some beastly contortions.

She awakened within me an impulse so small
I’d nearly forgotten it existed at all.
At once it called me to work and to strive
to do those things daily I’d need to survive.

She called forth from within me a will to improve
Softly challenging, not belittling the ground I could move.
My progress she measured in my will and not elsewhere,
slowly turning my head she talked me in out of nowhere.

Now she points out to me progress others can’t see.
Reassuring me now there’s a me she can see
That’s been cooped up inside me for so very long  
I’d forgotten the notes, yes, and even the song.

When I notice what we’ve done in the years we’ve spent
I see we’ve made progress but it’s scarcely a dent
in the long path stretching before me as just one
of the people she’s choosing to help, one-by-one.

Some days it’s all thankless, not easily done
But don’t let this day join those others as one,
Here’s a most heartfelt thanks
from just one of the ranks.

No comments: