Friday, December 13, 2013

SCD Syndrome And Me

SCD Syndrome And Me


I was in a contemplative mood this morning, I'm not sure why.  Maybe because it was Friday the 13th, or maybe it was just the fact that it's that time of year again.  Especially at this time of year, SCD is highly prevalent.  Like many other syndromes, this one arises out of defense mechanisms that are generally benign.  As Freud said, the ego employs them to deal with anxiety--anxiety produced by conflict between the id and the superego and reality--I could go on, but you probably know the basics.  

I learned mine while I was majoring in Psychology, an endeavor I abandoned when I realized I'd have eight more years of school before I could make enough money to support myself.  But not before I learned enough to understand that defense mechanisms can also get us in trouble when they begin 'to distort reality."  They begin to distort when they are overused.  

Denial was the first defense mechanism described by Freud, and is commonly at the start of every list I run across.  It is the easiest to spot.  Here's the overweight middle-aged guy pretending he's not, saying he's still in pretty good shape, and he could lose those few extra pounds quickly if he wanted to.   It's the guy who goes out for "a few drinks" and wakes up late for work and doesn't remember how he got home last night, saying "I don't have a drinking problem, I could quit any time I want."   

Sometimes denial works, allowing enough time for the ego to get back in control, deny the reality for a bit and take some positive action.  But not always.  Take SCD syndrome as an example.  It begins with the small things.  "No one knows I did that, he didn't see it anyway." Or, "He doesn't know.  I'll straighten up before the end of the year and everything will be fine."  But the days pile up and before long the victim realizes that his mistakes are piling up too, and a list is being made.  He also knows the list is being checked, more than once and that he will wind up in the wrong category when the big guy comes to town.  

Yes, the big guy's going find out.  When it really sinks in, he decides to deny the whole thing--to deny the big guy even exists--to become a "Santa Claus Denier," a victim of SCD.  Some reach that stage and stay there for a long, long time, even into adulthood.  Then, it goes away for a few magical years--roughly coinciding with the early years of parenting, if they get the chance; but it comes back again.  I know from personal experience.  Only recently was I able to undergo successful treatment.  It came in the form of two magical  grandchildren, God bless 'em.  I am no SCD victim today.  I believe--again....   Merry Christmas, Santa.   

No comments: