Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Where's That Bollywood Ending Dance Number for The 100 Foot Journey?

Where's That Bollywood Ending Dance Number for The 100 Foot Journey?

Imagine my dismay when the The 100 Foot Journey ended without a Bollywood Ending Dance number.  While it was no musical, the film should have had a true dance number with the whole cast, the street market extras, and anyone else that could learn those standard dance moves that ended all those Bollywood Movies.  The first time I remember seeing one was in the India-based Oscar winner, Slumdog Millionaire.  It was filmed at the train station with the cast dancing on the wide concrete platform.  Slumdog Millionaire was no Bollywood film, but it paid tribute to its cultural roots with the big dance.
The 100 Foot Journey depicted members of two distinctly different cultures (one of them Indian) crossing a cultural divide.  Further, it even contained plenty of striking music in its score, and a scene where two of the central characters (Helen Mirren and Om Puri) actually dance alone in the home/restaurant of Ms. Mirren’s character.  Surely that was enough.  Oh, I know the traditional Bollywood movie was a musical, with the music and dance woven inextricably into its plot, but at least give us the ending in the credits! (and, yes, I spelled inextricably right in my first attempt).
I guess I was just expecting it after recently seeing The Jersey Boys” put on a spectacular (by American standards, anyway) Bollywood Dance Number to end it.   I make the reference to “American standards” intentionally.  While I am sure the whole cast of The Jersey Boys took part, a Bollywood Ending Dance would contain hundreds, if not thousands of dancers.  Why did I become such an ending-dance fan?  Just go take a look at Slumdog Millionaire’s ending number, I found that one pretty quickly, and I’m still looking at Google and YouTube for The Jersey Boys.  (But I'm still mad about The 100 Foot Journey, not even one dance step, much less a hundred.)


P.S., Yeah, I know it's been a while, I kinda lost my bearings for a time, but I'm coming back.

No comments: