Saturday, October 20, 2012

No More News (week)

If there were a time when one might expect the news media would be performing an essential service, it should be during America's presidential election years.  They should be covering the candidates like a swarm, holding them accountable, asking the tough questions, investigating background and history of the candidates and their organizations.  Following the money, for heaven's sake.  2012 is historic--it will be the most money ever raised or spent in a campaign season.  As an observer, I have largely withdrawn my attention from what the media has offered--for two reasons.  

One reason is I simply cannot shake the perception I have that most of what passes for news is opinion.  The facts are not allowed to speak for themselves, they are spun.  The spinning takes place at the point the newsmakers choose, for the most part.  It appears there is always some schlub ready and willing to report what the people they are reporting on are saying about themselves (yes, schlub is a word--see your Merriam-Webster).  Worse yet, I sometimes get the feeling that occasionally some of those doing the reporting are spinning what they see and hear to serve their own opinions.  I just don't have confidence in any of them any more.  

The other reason is the very media that are supposed to be the watchdogs are the recipients of all that campaign money in the form of advertising.  There is almost a conflict of interest built into this dynamic--report misrepresentations, accept advertising money to air commercials aimed at correcting the matter.  Or, make it more innocent.  Just keep accepting money for airing some of this tripe that passes for campaign ads until the public's appetite for any political discourse is exhausted.  I know mine has been overwhelmed.  I can barely stand to turn on the TV or radio for fear that I will hear another commercial depicting a candidate as a liar (it's a congressional election in this case).  So now, I find myself driven away from the one estate that is supposed to be keeping the process honest.  

Which brings me to what prompted this little piece--the death of the paper version of Newsweek, the premier news magazine of the last century (sorry, Time, I haven't really checked the peak circulation numbers historically, if you were number one, I apologize).  Newsweek has disappeared in a presidential election year, announcing they will become a digital-only magazine.  I don't know of a successful digital news magazine, so I am guessing this may mark the end of Newsweek altogether.  I guess I should be sounding the alarm about who will keep the politicians honest, but....  Who cares?  

No comments: