Monday, September 19, 2016

What am I going to do now?

I was reminded today that we will all go away some time--I learned that the third of the dozen or so people I know when I was very young has departed this life.  I know, there are probably people for whom this has taken place before they were even twenty years of age.  That is sadder than sad, but it doesn't describe my experience.  In my life, I lost just one close friend before I was twenty.  It was hard to understand, and I probably did  less to try to understand it than I did other mysteries that life was casting my way.

At that age, I made choices that had a massive impact on my life.  I chose friends, a spouse, a career, and more.  Decisions, their consequences, the losses and the gains that resulted were probably more random than I'd care to admit, but why have they turned out so well?  No, I don't mean they were all tremendous, well thought out or wise.  They were just choices I made as I rambled through this life.

There was no deep inner wisdom provided to me that allowed me to make sensational choices and decisions.  I was just fortunate for some reason, and I just don't know why exactly, but I am grateful.   But back to the subject at hand.  When I learn of these events these days, it is cause for reflection.  What am I doing with my life to make certain that I have done the best I can?

Am I still stumbling along this path without really being conscious of how fleeting this life is?  Does this man's departure tell me to change my direction?  Would I know what to do if I became convinced of this?  Still, I plod ahead, hoping to spot the good choices, seizing the right moments, and struggle against the urge to sit this one or that one out.  Every day is special for every one of us if we only just keep moving and maintain contact with the important people in your life--whether they respond today or not--they will probably show up at the most improbable time.

No comments: