Saturday, April 18, 2015

Can't Help Myself

Can't Help Myself


I just have to get this over with, I can hardly breathe.   I spent the day in San Juan Capistrano yesterday, and today I can hardly swallow.

Whew, now I can breathe.  If you can get over that swallow thing, Capistrano is really worth seeing.  Flowers of all shapes and sizes dot the courtyard.  Much history resides in these old Spanish missions, and I am told by people I know who have visited several that this is the nicest of those that remain.

On one side it is surrounded by hills as far as the eye can see, in the other direction are the restored bells.  The original mission, founded in 1776, was destroyed by an earthquake in 1812, killing forty-two worshippers in the church.  It has been rebuilt, and much restoration work has been done over the years.  In the early twentieth century, the mission would allow artists to live in rooms there in exchange for pieces of the art work they did while living there. This Spring, an exhibition of early 20th century depictions of the mission as it looked in those days, many done in the Impressionist style, is on display.

The tallest palm trees I've ever seen are on the grounds there, along with a giant aloe plant.   TTFN.

No comments: