Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Rare Day for Me and Google

Unbelievably, I witnessed one of the rarest of moments this morning.  Google calendar, through some setting I have never gotten around to disabling, sends me a message each morning--almost invariably, it reads: "you have no events scheduled for today."   It is always among the messages that hit my email overnight and are downloaded as soon as the computer notices it is both connected to the internet and I have opened my inbox.  

It has become a metaphor for retired life some days, a reminder that what I accomplish today is up to me, and I'd better get moving or I'll waste it.  But I was up and writing and reading at 5:25 this morning, because I have a date with a medical procedure I had been up all night preparing for (go ahead, use your imagination).

Anyway, I heard the little tone it plays.  Google mail calls it, I am not making this up, "New Messages Sound"--gmail offers fourteen other sounds to use--I chose Basso today after listening to them all once again.  But when I heard "New Messages Sound," I looked up and I sensed somehow that it was not another empty notice, reminding me I had nothing going on.  This one, I can already tell, has two or more events on it!

There it is, I open it up--it's my calendar all right, for two weeks ago today.  I remember that I did do those things two weeks ago.  It's Google having a senior moment, not me.  Let's see. that's one for Google and 69,372 senior moments Google has bailed me out of by recollecting what I could not.  I think I'll let this one go....


No comments: