Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Refugee From Mah-Jongg

I sit this morning in a coffee shop, guzzling a peppermint mocha (venti--oops--I gave away my true location). I am a refugee. My wife's turn to host mah-jongg. How much of the table-talk could I have taken? But at the moment, I am where I need to be. It's Christmas Eve Eve, and I am not shopping for more gifts this year. Maybe some flowers?

Watching all the people hustling around on the way to get just one more, I'm glad we stepped out of the marathon (or should I say shop-a-thon?) this year. Mostly for economy reasons, but I have a lot more time available to walk, to bake cookies, to read and to write than I would otherwise. So what have I accomplished with all this time? Just returning to the here and now, where my body remains regardless of where in the future or the past my mind wanders (Dan Millman, I think). Breathing in and out, listening and watching.

Here's wishing you some time like this for the holidays.

No comments: